Traditional oxtail recipe
We will prepare a delicious oxtail, dish of Cordovan origin (or from Andalusia not to enter into discussions 😉), stewed with red wine.
Recipe of stewed oxtail
Let's start with a warning: the oxtail recipe needs patience and time. There are no shortcuts to get a bull's tail with the right texture and smoothness.
With a good preparation, we will surely obtain a dish where the meat will be soft almost to the point of getting rid of eating it, and a Thick sauce that mixes vegetables, wine and spices in a perfect proportion. Do we start cooking?
Stewed oxtail, step to step
Tips for a perfect oxtail
At the end of the cooking of the dish, we will make our sauce pass the tests of the perfect dish:
- Did you stay? a layer of fat or oil? Remove it with a spoon. It is normal, comes from the fat released by the meat and the added broth, during such a long cooking.
- Does the sauce have a very liquid consistency? Then let the dish cook a little more time, but this time removing the lid of the pan, to evaporate some of the liquid.
- If you want a more uniform and creamy sauce, you can take out the meat from the pot, and pass the rest of the ingredients by a blender or robot. I also recommend you remove the bay leaf before processing this kind of cream.This step is part of the traditional recipe of oxtail, but if you prefer, you can omit it.
With what to accompany the oxtail
The oxtail stew is perfect with the classic accompaniments of the sauce dishes. But in this case, we have to take into account that the sauce is prepared to wine, so the garnishes should be combined very well with that flavor that has so much personality.
In principle, potatoes usually look good with the most autumnal or winter sauces, so we can use one of these options:
- Baked potatoes, still hot and with some herbs and butter.
- Some bakers potatoes, with onions, to give them more flavor
And since we'll never get tired of cleaning the sauce on the plate with a piece of bread, I recommend our homemade bread recipe.
More stewed meat recipes
If you have been left wanting to prepare other dishes of this same style, we have other recipes with meat to recommend:
- Rabbit stewed with mustard and many vegetables.
- Beef stew that can be prepared with potatoes and carrots, or even more vegetables.
- A stew of pork that you can prepare with peppers.
- And this traditional meat goulash from Hungarian cuisine, with a lot of paprika.